The sculpture “Day and Night” (1983) by Bernhard Heiliger (1915-1995, D), owned by the Daimler Art Collection, has successfully moved. Since the end of last year, the sculpture has now been standing on the redesigned, public area on the Mercedes-Jellinek-Straße opposite the Mercedes-Benz Museum and the Mercedes-Benz branch. The sculpture has been owned by the Daimler Art Collection since 1989 and was dedicated to commemorating the forced laborers of the National Socialist era in the context of the company’s review of their own history during National Socialism. Accompanying the exhibition of the Mercedes-Benz Museum, the time of National Socialism and the role of Daimler are also taken up. The memorial was unveiled in 1989 in front of the old Mercedes-Benz Museum, but had to be relocated to an interim position on the factory premises as a result of conversion measures.
Photo: Jürgen Altmann, Stuttgart